Baby duck born with signs of neurological issues.

For urgent matters only. Please post all other requests in the appropriate category. Do not post "Rescue Needed" or "Financial Aid Needed" here. They have their own forums (below).
Forum rules
If your pet has a medical emergency, please contact a veterinarian immediately.

Baby duck born with signs of neurological issues.

Postby Rose4rm2o9 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:39 am

.... My husband brought home 9 baby duck eggs about 2 weeks ago... The mother was killed and if left alone none would have survived.... Well unfortunatly I could not find a vet to take them in or anyone else who might have a proper incubator... Because of this I set up my own.. With no money and only my Tim and few things thrown together, I tried to take care of the poor guys... Much to my dissapointment all but 2 of the eggs survived.. One has yet to hatch and the other... Well he's my special lil guy.... He was hatched with assistance because the membrane around him was really dry and almost impossible to break through... When he hatched he still had a bit of his yolk sac but after keeping him wrapped in a damp paper towel for 5 hours it quickly absorbed. Now it has been to days... He is still very much alive and thriving to live. Although it is obvious he has some sort of nuerological damage, which prevents him from havin full muscle control.. He still tries... I've been doing exercises with him getting him up and moving just giving him the slightest support in order for him to build his tiny lil muscles... He as made mcuh progress he stillcannot walk but he now lays his feet flat instead of curled up ... He's actually eating... I assist him of course but he is not force fed at all.... I'm feeding him both puree'd cat food with lots of water in it.. As well as boiled eggs puree'd as well with lots of water for him..

My husband tells me he's gonna die no matte what I do... But I refuse to beleive that.. He says he's only trying to spare my feelings.. But truthfully I don't believe he'll die if I give him the attention and love he needs.. Since he has hatched I have not spent more than 20 minutes from his side... I'm constantly with him.. Encouraging him, telling him as long as he doesn't give up I won't either.. I'm with him 24/ 7.. Havnt really slept for more than 30 minutes at a time... He needs constant care...

So I guess I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice.. I won't give up on him.. So please help
me if you can..
Rose4rm2o9

Re: Baby duck born with signs of neurological issues.

Postby Christine » Tue May 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello and welcome! Bless you for loving and helping this tiny one. You might want to read some of the posts under Birds and Exotics. One of our members, Sharon (inmemoryofsebastian) suggests joining this Yahoo Group for additional help. Her story about her life with Sebastian should be very inspiring to you.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Duck ... dir&slk=33

Keep asking questions and please keep us posted. We would love to see pictures too.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Postby FYI » Tue May 25, 2010 9:08 pm

FYI

Postby Rose4rm2o9 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:23 am

Thank you so much for your reply..

It's had now been two and a half days since he hatchted.. He growing stronger every hour... It's so inspiring to see him make progress... I keep him moving and continue to challenge him.. He has started eating.. I started him on super puree'd cat food... With lots of water .. Since at first was not interested in drinking water straight. He ate alot of the cat food but then I read on one site that hard boiled eggs would be great source of protein for him... He loves that stuff much more than the cat food.. I only give him the
yolk because it's much easier to crumble.

He has begun to sit like normally with his feet in the proper position.. Which is definate progress since he at first wouldn't even un curl his webbed little toes.. I rubbed his feet alot and layed them flat for him until he caught on... I wish I could figure out a way to upload some pics.. Even from those you can see the difference..

I still refuse to leave him alone.. I'm Always with him... Even now I'm leaned over his tub playing him some frank Sinatra... ^_^ he loves music... I think becuase my husband played alot while he's in incubation.. I try to play positive songs for him.. I even tell people that come around him that if your gonna think negative thoughts or pitty him in any way to just go away.. He only needs positive feelings and thoughts right now...

He went for his first "swim" today .. I'm tuppperware lid that's only about 3/4 of a inch deep... He did what he's supposed to do.. He dunked his beek in it... He's also doing other normal things.. Like preening himself.. And other little things that are natural instincts.. Only problem seems to be muscle coordination.. But he's trying so hard..

I'm gonna put a link to my face book on here becuase that is where all of his pics are ... From the begginniNg till just earlier.. He's a mallard by the way. I would upload them to here but my iphone won't let me.. So yea please take a look he's hard to pass up ^_^

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000233678595

I guess that's not a link.. But copy and paste it'll take your right there..

oh yea and thank for the info for Sebastian I actually I read his story right before I wrote the intial post.. Her story had me balling.. Holdin my baby duck and tellin him .. " see ... Sebastain did it.. That's means you can too! " but I will still go to the link you sent ^_^

Thanks so much for the support.. I trully need some right
now..

And oh yea.. I've decided to name him Charlie ... Because I don't know if it's a boy or girl yet I think it's fits perfect ...

So until next time ...

Charlie and Rose Signing off....

X ^_^ X La Vita è Bella X ^_^ X

P.S. Sorry for the bad grammar bad spelling... I'm on my third night of very little sleep... All so worth it ^_^
Rose4rm2o9

Postby critters » Wed May 26, 2010 4:41 am

:whale: All I know about neuro ducks is that we had one with seizures, and they can take phenobarb. Congrats on getting so many hatched!!
critters
Founding Member

Postby Inmemoryofsebastian » Wed May 26, 2010 10:29 am

Hello this is Sharon, I recieved your email what a darling little baby he is, I seen his pictures on Facebook, I love the determination you have for this little baby it's really heartwarming, your little duckling will need lots of care and first things first he has to eat good quality food so please find a place that sells food for duckling, poor nutrition is the biggest cause of death in duckling, when I first found Sebastian as a baby I fed her Iam's kitten dry food moisted in water until I was able to buy duck food, I always put Sebastian food in her water to eat it made it so much easier for her to eat....don't forget chop up romaine lettuce and put it in the water with her she will nibble on it...

I'm so happy you are doing all your doing to get him to walk, that's great that he uncurled his toes, with the right food and all the love and attention you give this baby I don't know why he wouldn't be able to live a long life, this should be encouraging for your husband that Sebastian lived almost 13 years and she couldn't walk or stand up, you should join my group of people who have ducks with disablities they would love to hear about your story here is the link I hope you join and share your story...

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Duck ... dir&slk=33

[note: sent to me by email and posted here--CarolC]
Inmemoryofsebastian

Postby Christine » Wed May 26, 2010 11:52 am

Here you go...he is so precious! the one of him in your hand is a beautiful Wall picture.
Attachments
charlie9.jpg
charlie9.jpg (7.12 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie8.jpg
charlie8.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie6.jpg
charlie6.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie5.jpg
charlie5.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie4.jpg
charlie4.jpg (13.71 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie3.jpg
charlie3.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie2.jpg
charlie2.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
charlie1.jpg
charlie1.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Postby LisainCAN » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Rose,

How is the duck these days? Ducklings can be very resilient. Baby ducks/chickens/quail/turkey never cease to amaze me.
LisainCAN

Postby Christine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:54 am

I received this request in a private message. Can any of you ladies with experience help? She has posted a separate message as well. The duck just hatched hours ago.

I have a baby duck born with that growth thing on him as well i don't know what to do i have never hatched ducks before. Can you please help how did you get rid of the growth thing? Please contact me asap
thank you

This was posted under Emergency Help Needed:

Baby Duck NEEDS HELP ASAP
by sweetsam10122 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:30 am

I NEED HELP!
My Baby Duck must have hatched to soon he has some yoke or growth I don't know I'M scared he isn't moving much and he is still hooked a little to the egg. What should I do he just hatched 20 mins ago I have him still in the incubator or a damp towel. What should i do someone please help !sweetsam10122
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Christine

Postby LisainCAN » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:41 am

Hi there,

That yellowy "growth" thing is the yolk sac. Right before hatching, the baby duckling/chick etc will absorb that yolk into their stomachs. It provides the nutrients that allows them to live the first 48 hours. I have had some hatch before the yolk sac is fully absorbed and sadly the ducklings do not usually survive. Of course it depends on how much of the yolk was left. The way I see it, the duckling will either pull that extra into it's stomach by itself or it will die. The worst thing to do is to try to push the yolk in yourself because that introduces bacteria and that is invariably fatal. The neurological issues you describe appear to be simply a failure to thrive. I suspect this baby hatched a bit too soon. I am sorry to be so pointed but it is wait and see. You are doing all you can. I would leave the duckling alone in the incubator but without the paper towel so that it can dry out. Please do not feel badly; it is a quirk of nature.

Update us please so I can further advise. I am going on the info provided but things change in real time.
LisainCAN

Return to Emergency help

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support

Become a Fan on Facebook.