Urinary: Bogie again...need help with urinary problem!!!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.

Urinary: Bogie again...need help with urinary problem!!!

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:31 am

I didn't go to bed last night. I was up with Bogie. I hope ordering a cart isn't some kind of bad luck omen!! He started getting restless about 1:30 in the morning. I was on the computer, and he was beside me. He tried to crawl toward the kitchen...and he NEVER leaves my side!! I took him out, and he pottied. Once in, he later urinated all over himself and his bed. When I first got him he had the worst case of diarrhea I had ever seen, yet NEVER had an accident! I took him out a couple more times and called my vet at 2:30 AM!! I was there when the vet opened this morning. Bogie doesn't have a fever...but he keeps panting. The vet gave me some pills for incontinence. As soon as we got home, Bogie urinated outside, and it was just about pure blood. I went back to the vet and he gave me antibiotics. I need some feedback, info, and reassurance here!! If he has a urinary infection, wouldn't he have a fever? I know the panting can be pain or anxiety. The vet instructed me to give him 2 antibiotics per day plus 2 of the incontinence pills. I think I'm going to take Bogie out and then try to get a couple hours sleep, but I'll check back soon to see what you came up with! Thanks. Carol T.
Carol

Re: Urinary: Bogie again...need help with urinary problem!!!

Postby critters » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:19 pm

I can't remember--is he taking anything besides the antibiotic and the other new pill? Just wondering if a med could be causing the diarrhea...

I suppose a UTI that was just getting started might not have a fever at that point; I had a UTI once and had NO fever or pain (until later, when it hit my kidneys, luckily after starting an antibiotic). I bet you got it early.

As for the UTI, can you get B. to drink more? Make the water more yummy, perhaps enticing with ice cubes or something? If you keep him flushed out, it's bound to help.

Did you see the post below about contributors to UTIs? I can't begin to tell you where it is, but I think I read it somewhere down there today.
critters
Founding Member

CarolC's UTI thoughts *LINK*

Postby critters » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:23 pm

Perhaps something useful will come out of these; I don't know which may relate to B.'s situation, and I'm too tired to go research your previous posts. LOL

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=28320
critters
Founding Member

Postby MARGARITA JACUE » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi Carol,

I don't know if this will help but Mario once had a terrible urinary infection and as you mentioned, it was pure blood for 2 days.The vet took a cultive of his urine in order to be more precise in the kind of antibiotic he needed to take. After a couple of days of giving him "Septrin" (I don't know if it has the same name in the States) he made a good recovery.

It will be good to know what it is causing the infection (kind of bacteria) in order to treat it more effectively.

Lots of love

Margarita
MARGARITA JACUE

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:39 pm

Thank you for your reply!! I managed to get two hours sleep, and I guess because I'm so worried about this...I feel rested! The poor fella seems so distressed. I felt so bad when he urinated on himself in the house this morning. He acted so distressed and ashamed. I reassured him that he was a "good boy" and...as we all do, talked to him, telling him it wasn't his fault. I just gave him a baby aspirin because he's still panting, and I think it's from pain. Carol T.
Carol

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:44 pm

Thank you. I think I may have confused the issue by mentioning the diarrhea. That was just to illustrate that he's never had any accidents inside until last night. His problem is urinary. A friend asked me if the vet mentioned renal failure, since he's on Rimadyl. He didn't mention it, but are the symptoms of renal failure incontinence and bloody urine? Guess I need to give my vet a call. Wouldn't you know it? After opening my big mouth, saying I know a lot about animals...I run into a problem I haven't experienced before! Just God's way of keeping me humble, I guess! Carol T.
Carol

Postby CarolC » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:55 pm

Big yes on Rimadyl and diarrhea, will explain tonight.
CarolC

Postby Carol » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 pm

A big thank you to all who replied. I'm about half-crazed from lack of sleep now! I'm feeling a bit better. I looked up renal failure on the web. Bogie only had two symptoms: bloody urine and excessive thirst (though the latter was just last night). Back we went to the vet. This time they took blood and did an Xray. He doesn't have renal failure, and he doesn't have stones, so it looks like he has a urinary infection for sure. I sure hope the incontinence and the bloody urine stop soon. He's my shadow, and he barks his heart out when he can't be right beside me. Right now he's relegated to the kitchen because the floor is washable, and we're going outside every two hours. Say a prayer, though...he's very old, but I'm hoping for at least a couple more years, especially after he gets his cart!!! I'm still open to advice, opinions, tips, etc.!!! Carol T.
Carol

Rimadyl *LINK*

Postby Dianne » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:06 pm

CarolT,

I do not have any experience with Rimadyl but found this reading interesting. See link.

"Do Stop the medication at the first signs of gastric upset, nausea, lack of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea."

"Do not give NSAIDs with steroids like dexamethazone, prednisolone, Vetalog or Depomedrol. Gastrointestinal ulceration and BLEEDING can result. A 3-to-5 day withdrawal period is necessary if you switch from one drug to another."

I forget what meds your dog is taking. You may want to read this list for contraindications.

Dianne

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/Rimadyl.Rogers.html
Dianne

Postby Cindidoxiemom » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Carol~
You might consider profolatic antibiotics after you get this infection cleared up. I struggled with whether or not to put Oscar on them after he had several infections in close sucession. Since being on the antibiotics everyother day, he has done very well. Has the vet done a culture on his urine yet? The culture can identify the vermin causing the problem and can help the vet select the proper antibiotic to kill it.
Keep us updated
Cindi
Cindidoxiemom

Postby connie » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:10 pm

carol, you've got the prayers always, you and bogie. i was just wondering why vet didn't take tests till later? when i took cricket to vet in nov. they didn't do tests, just said he had an infection. later that night he had a ruptured disk and now look where he is. sometimes i think we as doggie moms know more or try to know more. you are so great with your pets, you impress the #### out of me with all your advice. lol. get some rest, give bogie a hug from arkansas. sure hope the little fellow gets well soon. hugs and god bless you both.
connie

Postby CarolC » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:30 pm

<a href="http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Urinary_tract_infection">http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Urinary_tract_infection</a>

<a href="http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat">http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat</a>

Dear Carol,

Above are two links to webpages that may help you. The first is information on urinary tract infections. It was written by someone with a paralyzed dog. Your dog is not paralyzed, but you mentioned a possible neurological condition in your first message.

The second link is on something called expressing the bladder. I don't know how much you've seen about expressing the bladder since you've been on the message board, but it is standard for people with paralyzed pets or pets with incontinence due to neurological problems. You can become familiar with the idea from the webpage, I'm not sure if you will need the information or not.

What I wanted to say earlier (but did not have time) was that my old dog did, indeed, develop diarrhea from Rimadyl. I have no idea if affected his liver (I believe Rimadyl affects the liver more than the kidneys as your friend suggested) but it definitely did a number on his GI tract. He did fine with the Rimadyl for 6 months and then developed diarrhea. He had it for weeks and I asked 2 vets if it might be the Rimadyl (nobody had bothered to tell me, but to be fair Rimadyl was fairly new on the market). Finally, I took him off of it because I couldn't think what else was making us so miserable with the diarrhea and it cleared up. Unfortunately, the Rimadyl had been very beneficial for his mobility (hip dysplasia and arthritis) and he went down after he could no longer have the Rimadyl. But the important thing is, yes, Rimadyl did cause major diarrhea in my old dog, which went away after we discontinued it.

As far as I know, when the Rimadyl caused diarrhea in my dog it did not cause gastric bleeding. Gastric bleeding is one of the risks with Rimadyl. I'm not sure about this, but until you know you are safe with the Rimadyl it might be better not to give any more aspirin, which can also cause gastric bleeding. You might ask the vet. Part of my concern is based on an experience here where an older dog with symptoms like you describe in Bogie died, supposedly of internal bleeding. It was a complicated case, with herbal supplements, steroid injections and various medications involved, but I just can't help but be reminded of that case when I read your message because it has the same ring to it. (Very scientific, I know!)

For what it is worth, I have heard (I think in reference to human UTIs) that when you see blood in the urine, it really isn't as much blood as it appears to be, it only takes a little to make it look awful--hope that makes you feel a little better about it.

I do not see any informatin to indicate Rimadyl has anything to do with causing urinary problems. You did say in your original message that your dog has arthritis, etc., and possibly "something neurological". If he really does have something neurological, perhaps is has progressed a bit and is compromising his bladder control. I don't know, I'm certainly not a vet. You are in a grey area here. It would be nice to know if he is emptying his bladder completely when he urinates. Does your vet know how to express a bladder? If so, it might be worthwhile to have him try to express Bogie and see how much urine he gets out of him. If this dog is losing bladder control, you will need to be expressing him to prevent repeated UTIs, and you will be very glad you have the wheelchair to make it easier.

Also, again I have no clue but you might want to look at some information on Cushings. It causes panting and urinating in the house. Here is a webpage on that:

<a href="http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html">http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html</a>

Hope he feels better soon.

Do you know about male wraps??? They are like a belt that goes around the waist of a male dog and holds an absorbent pad over the private area to catch urine. If he continues to leak after the UTI is cleared up (and in spite of the incontinence meds) you might want to look into getting him some male wraps. People here can give you links for some good brands.

Hope Bogie is feeling better tonight and you will get some rest.
CarolC

Re: Rimadyl

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:05 am

Thank you! I knew it could result in renal failure, and this has been enough to scare me away from it. I made the decision today to stop using it. I will check out the link, too. Forewarned is fore-armed!!! Carol T.
Carol

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:10 am

Thanks! I may consider that. I live in a rural area, and my vet tends to be more focused on livestock, I think. We wouldn't have had the blood test or Xray today had I not been alarmed and gone back! I think next week I may take him to a really good vet I used to use when I lived in the city. I'll ask specifically for a urine culture. Poor Bogie, he's feeling so sorry for himself alone in the kitchen!!!
I was thinking of doggie diapers, but Walmart here doesn't sell them. A friend suggested baby size pull ups, so I may get some of those tomorrow (later today, actually)! Carol T.
Carol

Postby Carol » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:15 am

Thank you for the kind words! You're in Arkansas? I'm in Missouri...near Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake!!
As mentioned in my previous post, the vet here tends to concentrate more on livestock. As far as dogs go, I think he loves them, but seems to take a more "practical" view. I get the feeling he thinks it's silly to take extraordinary measures to keep a dog going. I'm not sure that's the way he feels, but it's my impression. Maybe it's a "guy" thing; you'll notice that most of the people who post here tend to be females. Perhaps animals tweak at our maternal instinct!!! Carol T.
Carol

Next

Return to Old WBBS

Dog wheelchair small dogs

Dog Wheelchairs
dog wheelchairs
Canine Carts
pet products
Pet Safety Belts
pet services
Pet Boots
help and support